Motorcycle accidents are one of the most common causes of serious injuries and death on the road. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, among other damages. The most common type of accident attorney in Houston is one who specializes in motorcycle accidents, but it doesn’t hurt to contact an attorney with experience handling other kinds of accidents as well.
The #1 Reason Why Motorcyclists Get Into Accidents
Sometimes riders get into accidents because they are not following the laws. This is one of the reasons that insurance rates for motorcyclists are higher than those for other drivers. Another reason riders get into accidents is distracted driving due to cell phone use or poor judgment due to drunk riding. While most insurance providers don’t require a helmet when riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, if you’re looking to buy individual motorcycle coverage in your own name it’s strongly encouraged you wear a helmet every time you ride. The more serious injuries sustained by motorcycle accident victims often result from them not wearing helmets and/or not complying with safety laws.
The Right Way to Approach Your Insurance Company
Nobody wants to think about getting into an accident. But when it happens, you will want a seasoned motorcycle accident lawyer to get you through the process. With that in mind, here are some common ways that we help our clients:
1) We investigate and compile medical records from the accident scene and from doctor visits after the accident.
2) We compile contact information for all people involved in the crash and any witnesses to the incident. 2) We gather evidence of negligence by checking surveillance videos and taking pictures on-site as well as interviewing eyewitnesses and anyone else who might have information relevant to your case.
Tips on Recruiting an Experienced Lawyer
Just because the accident only involved one person doesn’t mean that the case isn’t worth fighting. There are no time limits on making a claim, so it’s best to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. It is important to have legal representation if you plan on going up against a large company like an insurance company, who knows exactly what they’re doing and will use all of their resources to make you go away. You’ll want to find a lawyer who has experience with this type of litigation and injury cases.
What you should consider when selecting your motorcycle attorney
Before you hire a motorcycle attorney, you should consider the following: licensing requirements for your state; experience working with personal injury cases involving motorcycles; whether he/she will work on a contingency basis (meaning they will only get paid if they win your case); whether or not they take an office location in or near where the accident occurred. You can consult with other riders on whether or not they have had a good experience with any particular lawyer. If you are unsure about anything pertaining to the law, do not hesitate to ask your motorcycle attorney. They are there to provide you with legal advice and guidance, so use them as much as possible. In the event that another driver is at fault for causing your motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages and medical bills incurred from the crash depending on what type of coverage is offered by their insurance policy. Do not be afraid to reach out to an experienced Houston motorcyclist attorney who knows how best to protect your rights!
Questions to ask your motorcycle attorney before hiring them
- How much does it cost?
- What are your qualifications?
- What is the client’s liability for costs of representation and/or attorneys’ fees?
- Who will represent the client when his or her motorcycle attorney is unavailable for personal reasons, sick leave, vacation time or if otherwise required by law to attend court on behalf of a client?
- What services are offered?
- Do you offer counseling on what to do after an accident? For example, can I get assistance with dealing with my health insurance company as well as getting new medical treatments needed because of the accident injury? Or should I contact an independent accident counselor?
Knowledge is the key to avoiding accidents. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, you need a motorcycle attorney to give you your options and help protect your rights and freedom. At The Waldman Law Firm PLLC, we know how serious accidents can be and will fight to get you the justice that you deserve. Call us today at (888) 700-1415 for your free consultation. We are ready to answer any questions you may have about our legal services, from motorcycles to other vehicles and injuries.